Sunday, December 14, 2008

Advertisements

Advertisements are meant to get our attention and encourage us to buy a certain product or service. Many ads are very helpful, letting you know where a good deal is and where a certain product can be found. However there are some pretty weird ones out there too. The first bad ad I found is actually one of an advertising company. "Virtus Communications" creates advertisements for companies to help them get noticed. However this particular ad I couldn't even figure out what their angle was that they are trying to portray. Yeah its different. But creepy. The second bad ad I found advertises a funeral home. Not the hardest thing to advertise of course but this one seems to cross the line as well. "Memory Garden" puts the fun back in fun-eral. Now, I don't know about you but I don't remember the last time I had "fun" at a funeral. Also creepy.On the plus side there are some good advertisements out there. This one from Benetton shows the similarities between the races. I thought it shows that on the inside, we're all the same. The photo of the three kids sticking their tongues out also shows that kids are the same. It shows simplicity. Another great ad that shows how powerful the zoom on a camera is comes from "Kodak". The ad that has a man standing very close to a lion. I liked this ad also because its simple and it gets the point across.Advertising is very effective. I was influenced to buy a PlayStation 3 because of the games I saw that were available for it on TV. And in contrast, advertising can be very ineffective when I watched an ad showing me that if I used a certain shaving cream that I would get promoted and a beautiful Swedish woman would fall in love with me. I just laughed at it because it doesn't matter what kind of shaving cream you use. It was ridiculous.

No comments: